Getting started couldn’t be easier....

IRD Number

A valid IRD number is needed to access your account information with Inland Revenue. Enabling My Refund to obtain information, process returns and provide our advisory service.


We need to confirm your identity through our Verification process when you join our agency. Please apply with exact name on your licence. Alternative forms of ID – please contact us.

Bank Account Number

If your bank account number is not correct, you may miss out on your tax refunds. Apply with a valid NZ bank account number, in your name to ensure no tax refunds get missed.

Valid Address

It is increasingly common to regularly move houses, as your tax agent we will often confirm your address is still current. Keeping your Inland Revenue records up to date.



My Refund Limited assists New Zealand; Salary and Wage earners and IR3 Filers with meeting their tax obligations.

Joining My Refund Limited income tax advisory services, enables our team to be your tax agent.

As your tax agent, we prepare and file required tax returns, revise assessed tax returns, answer your queries about correct tax codes, obligations and tax bills owing through to updating your address if you move.  Fees starting from $28 + GST, view full fees here.


2024 Tax Returns

  • 2024 Tax year (01/04/2023 - 31/03/2024) assessments are processed from late May/June 2024.
  • Clients of My Refund Limited will start receiving their income confirmations from May. This provides time for all Employers, Kiwi Saver providers and Banks etc to update your taxable earnings with Inland Revenue.
  • Once My Refund has your completed income confirmation and Inland Revenue releases your return for processing from June, you will receive notification of your tax position.
  • Cancellation of our services, you may still be invoiced for fees.

Advisory Services

  • The tax system can be complicated and confusing at times. From ensuring your tax codes are correct through to understanding tax law and recent changes.
  • Received a tax bill and needing help to understand why you did not pay enough tax during the financial year and reduce the risk of future tax bills? Contact us to talk further.
  • Take away the hassle of long hold times, being transferred between departments, waiting weeks for an email responses. Make us your first point of call for all your taxation queries. We can also update your details with IRD on your behalf.

Donation Rebates

  • Don't miss out on claiming back your 33.33% on donations of $5 or more to any approved charity or organisation.
  • Can be claimed within 4 tax years of the payment. Just need to provide us a copy of your receipt (we can help you obtain this).
  • These include donations to:
    • Schools
    • State run kindergartens.
    • Tithing to churches
    • Charitable donations
  • Need to be a client of My Refund, Flat fee of only $35* per donation return

IR3 Returns

  • Inland Revenue requires anyone earning extra income that isn’t salary, wages, dividends, interest, and/or taxable Maori authority distributions to file an IR3 tax return to confirm the amount of personal income and the amount of tax to be paid.
  • IR3 returns are standardly due by the 7th July, before late fees apply. Engaging a Tax Agent, you may be eligible for an ‘Extension of Time’, extending the due date until March 31 to complete your tax return.
  • Filing your IR3 Return to early, may mean some of your taxable income is incorrect and your tax return will need to be revised.
  • IR3 returns are required if you receive any of the following income sources
    • Self-employed or business income
    • directors of companies or sole traders
    • Owning rental properties
    • earning overseas income
    • income from cash jobs
    • Left/arrived in New Zealand part-way through the year
  • Not sure if you need to complete a return? If you think you do not need to complete an IR3, My Refund Ltd could help resolve this for you.

Claim Expenses?

  • Claiming expenses reduces your income, lowering the total amount of tax you need to pay. It’s important to claim the correct expenses to make sure you pay the correct amount of tax at the end of the year. Copies of receipts or tax invoices must be provided to claim the expense.
  • If you're in business, including self-employed or working as a contractor, you may be able to claim expenses like your home office, your car, depreciation, and environmental costs.
  • If you earn salary, wages or investment income, then you may be able to claim NON-BUSINESS expenses like your tax agency fees, income protection insurance and interest for late payment of tax.
  • Types of Claimable Expenses:
    • Business expenses encompass a broad spectrum of costs incurred in the operation of your venture. These may include:
    • Rent for business premises – even if it’s an office in your own home
    • Home office expenses
    • Legal fees and tax agent services
    • Depreciation on assets such as computers and office furniture
    • Interest on business loans
    • Vehicle expenses and travel for business purposes
    • Insurance premiums relevant to your business activities
    • Work-related mobile phone bills
    • Stationery and office supplies

Tax Updates

  • The Taxation (Annual Rates for 2023-24, Multinational Tax, and Remedial Matters) legislation has recently received Royal assent, on Thursday, March 28, 2024.
    • Phasing back in the ability to claim interest deductions for residential property.
    • Implementing new marketplace rules for GST on listed services.
    • Introducing flood response measures in light of the North Island flooding events
    • Modifying the layout of trust returns
    • Updating tax calculation methodologies for qualifying back-dated lump sum payments from ACC and MSD.
  • Additional rate adjustments and residual items introduced in both 2022 and 2023, which are set to come into effect in April 2024.
  • Residential Property
    • From 1 April 2024, the ability to claim interest deductions will be phased back in, restoring interest deductions to 100% from 1 April 2025.
    • There will be no change for the period 1 April 2023 – 31 March 2024. You will be able to claim 50% of the interest incurred if the property was acquired before 27 March 2021. For those who acquired a property after that date, interest deductions can be claimed at 80% from 1 April 2024. This means customers will be following the same rules regardless of when they acquired their property.

Customers Reviews


A Tax Agent is any individual, company or partnership who is registered with the IRD for the purposes of filing tax returns, to IRD, on behalf of NZ taxpayers.

You can apply now for your 2023/2024 tax refund.

2024 tax year: 1st April 2023 to 31st March 2024.

Income confirmation are expected to be sent to clients emails in May, following the end of  the tax year. Once the client has confirmed their income, My Refund will be able to continue processing their tax return.

Finding out if you are owed a tax refund is easy.  You will need your IRD number, a form of identification, payment details, and to answer some simple questions about your tax situation.

The quickest way is to complete our single page online application using a NZ drivers licence for identification.

Using an alternative form of identification? Complete the online application. You will also need to supply a copy of your identification and a signed Identification Verification Form.

Once you have applied, My Refund will do the hard part and assess your tax refund entitlements to gain you the maximum tax refund.

Additional documentation may be requested, this information is needed to ensure we have assessed your tax situation accurately.

An IRD number is an unique eight or nine-digit identification number that IRD issue to you.

You can find your IRD number in any of these places:

+ on your payslip
+ from your employer
+ from financial or government statements
+ Kiwisaver
+ Bank
+ End of year investments
+ Working for Families
+ Student loan
+ Child support
+ from your bank
+ by contacting Inland Revenue
+IRD Website 
+ previously a My Refund client, contact us.

Our aim is to ensure that your tax refund and any other money owed to you will be paid within 5 working days to your preferred payment method, once My Refund Limited has received your funds. You will receive email notification when your payment has been made.

Depending on your preferred payment method, will then depend on how fast your refund gets to you;
Payment Via Direct Credit – 1 to 2 Working days to appear in your account.
Payment Via International Money Transfer – 10 Working days to appear in your overseas account. *$45 IMT fee applies 

Click here to provide your International Money Transfer details now. 

To confirm/update your preferred payment method contact our customer service representatives.

*Please Note: These time frames may vary, should information be incorrectly provided to us and/or IR require further information and/or your return type. Working days are Monday to Friday. Payments will not be completed on a weekend or a public holiday.

If you already owe tax from a previous assessment, you will be required to pay this bill by IRD's due date to avoid any additional late payment penalties.

Our clients usually have until April the following year to pay any tax owing.

Any future refunds will usually be transferred by Inland Revenue to the tax arrears first before any remaining balance is refunded. If our assessment indicates that you have not paid enough tax we may not file your return before discussing your obligations with you.

You need to contact Inland Revenue directly to arrange payment/s to pay your bill.

Learn more about paying your tax bill here

There are many reasons why you might need to file an IR3.

+ You have previously received untaxed income of some kind eg. self employment, rental income, or contractor income
+ An IR3 was filed, or is overdue from a prior tax year.
+ Inland Revenue suspect that you have received income from self employment, cash jobs or contract work.
+ You are a shareholder in a company, a partner in a partnership or a beneficiary of a Trust
+ You have expenses to claim that will reduce your tax liability
+ You received (or applied for) a covid wage subsidy, resurgent payment, a covid support payment or applied for a covid small busines loan
+ Have overseas income or have traded shares.
+ You have sold a property that is subject to the Brightline Test

If you have received any untaxed income, you may also be able to claim a variety of expenses that will reduce your tax liability.

To receive an update on your tax refund application you must provide correct and current contact details on your application. If your details have changed since your application update them now.

A regularly checked email address is the best method to receive regular updates and resolve any pending queries. If email contact is unsuccessful, we will attempt to contact your phone number.

You must confirm security questions with our customer service representatives to access your account details. This is for your protection.

Once you submit an online application you will receive an email with a confirmation of application details. Once My Refund reviews your application you will receive an email update on your tax refund application within 24 hours. This update could be requesting additional information needed to continue processing your application or to advise of your result.

If you are unsure on the status of your application you can contact us now and a customer service representative can review your account and update you on your tax refund application or your current tax situation.

When My Refund is reviewing your tax entitlements you may be requested to send in copies of additional information or documentation.

Examples of requested information/documentation:

+ Photo ID – Identification verification form
+ Donation receipts
+ Interest/dividend statements
+ Working for Families details
+ Kiwisaver statements

Find ALL our various contact details here

1. Scan the information or snap a photo on your smartphone
2. Send it from your device straight to My Refund Ltd
Send us a message through our website and select your photo/file
+ Attach your photo/file and email info@myrefund.co.nz
+ Chat live with My Refund and send your photo/file through our live chat service

Prefer to send your information/documentation through the post?

+ Our PO BOX is free post

You may be requested to send in additional information/documentation that you have received from another organisation.

Examples of organisations:

+ Donee Organisations
+ Banks
+ Kiwisaver Providers
+ Investment organisations

While most organisation will send you end of year statements for tax purposes, it is easy to misplace these and you will need to contact the organisation to obtain another copy.

It can at times be difficult and time consuming to obtain these copies. You can give My Refund authority to contact these organisations and obtain these copies on your behalf.

Complete the authority form now and send to My Refund. Alternatively, contact our customer service team to post you a copy of this form.

You can enter your licence details on your application  and we will verify this information electronically through a third party authentication service (Veda NZ). This is the quickest form of ID to use to keep your application moving for your tax refund.

Drivers Licence details required:

+ Licence Number (5a)
+ Licence Version (5b)
+ Exact names as they appear on your licence

Photo identification other than a NZ drivers licence requires you to send in a clear colour copy and a signed Identification Verification Form

+ NZ Passport
+ NZ 18+ Card
+ Overseas Passport & Visa
+ Firearms/Dealers Licence
+ International Drivers Permit
+ New Zealand Certificate of Identity (issued by the Ministry of business, innovation and Employment or Department of Internal Affairs).

If you are under 16 years old you will need parental authority prior to the processing of your application.

What you need to provide:

+ A form of acceptable ID
+ A birth certificate

What your parent/guardian needs to provide:

+ A form of acceptable ID
+ Signed statement of their approval of your application
+ Alternatively, they can co-sign an Identification Verification Form 

Without this additional authority you will need to reapply after your 16th birthday.

Yes, all our clients’ information is kept confidential.

As a registered tax agent with Inland Revenue we are bound by the Privacy Act 2020 to protect your information.

We will never disclose your information without your expressed consent except to Inland Revenue when requested.

For this reason, you will be asked to verify security questions with our customer service representatives prior to the disclosure of your account records.

If you would like to nominate a relative or a friend to have authority on your account you will need to provide consent.

Complete the Nominate Authority form and send into My Refund. Alternatively, contact our customer service representative to receive the form via post or complete the verbal authority steps.

What if they change?

We understand life gets busy, but without your current contact information it can create delays in you receiving your refund.

When your details change send us a message online or contact us with your updated details.

This means we can keep you updated and informed on your tax situation.

There are expenses that can be claimed against your income that can be included in your personal tax summary to increase your refund.

These include:

+ Tax return preparation fees
+ Income Protection Insurance premiums
+ Commission on interest or dividend income (not bank fees)
+ Certain fees associated with investments producing taxable income
+ Business Expences (attach business expense list link)

If My Refund Ltd processes your refunds year after year, we will automatically include our preparation fee from the year before as an expense to increase your refund. If you’re wanting to claim expenses other than our preparation fee, you will need to send My Refund documentation of these expenses.

Every individual has an unique tax situation. Working 1 extra hour in a week, an unpaid day off or changing jobs can change your tax situation.

Answering the questions about your income for the past 5 years in your application assists in the determination of your current tax situation.

Various factors that can affect an individuals tax situation are:

+ Worked part of the year
+ Received a lump sum payment (such as a bonus)
+ Has more than one employer
+ Have expenses to claim
+ Tax credit entitlements
Working for Families entitlement
+ Using the incorrect tax code
+ Self-employed, rental or untaxed income
+ Low prescribed investor rate (PIR rate).


Get In Touch

Contact Form Demo

Contact Info